RE: XP SP2 other than windows update

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Wed Sep 01 10:00:57 2004

> Roland Perry wrote:
> I'm an IT professional, but only one of my PCs is running XP.
> And it's a full-price retail copy, not a bundled-OEM or upgrade.
> Hence me feeling left out when I'm told that "IT professionals"
> have already been allowed their Windows-update.

Every IT professional I know has had SP2 available three different ways
for two weeks:
1) Somewhere on a server for support staff to begin to experiment with
and for a small set of guinea pig users to install.
2) On a CD made after the download. On my CD I also have SP1 for Office
2003. Part of being an IT professional includes maintaining an updated
set of CDs carried at all times.
3) On a slipstreamed install CD for new installs.

Optionally,
4a) On an SP2 image on a RIS server
4b) On a ghost images

The final SP2 has been available on M$ site even for people that don't
have an MSDN subscription. Anyone that wants to call themselves an "IT
professional" _does_ download and try major updates _before_ they are
made available to end users, period.

Michel.