Phishing (Was Re: WashingtonPost computer security stories)

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Mon Aug 16 06:28:21 2004

Speaking of computers fubar'ed by spyware, I just found a particularly
nice example of a phishing attempt.  SpamAssassin had tagged it with the
astronomical score of 136.3 thanks to SARE.

The mail originated from 68.77.56.130 (an ameritech.net DSL connection,
right now not pingable) and loads some images from www.citibank.com.
It links to http://61.128.198.51/Confirm/ - an IP address hosted by
Chinanet (transit to there supplied by Savvis from my point of view).

That page does something interesting: it meta refreshes itself to
Citibank's corporate homepage but also pops up a window
(/Confirm/pop.php) requesting the user's card#, PIN (twice) and a
new PIN.  The main page being citibank probably lends some credibility
to the scam.

This attack won't work if your browser blocks popups, or if you remember
that the padlock icon in the status bar is what tells you the status of
a connection, not a "128-bit SSL" or "Verisign trust-e" or whatever logo
inside the webpage.

It's disheartening to see that this website is still online after
several days (I received the scam mail received Friday morning).

I'm thinking that Citibank will cease to be a target if they give (ok,
it's a bank - sell) their subscribers a hardware token that requires
presence of the ATM card when the customer wants to use online banking
facilities... as several banks here in the Netherlands do.

	-- Niels.