Re: BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

  • From: Robert Bonomi
  • Date: Thu Aug 12 15:41:28 2004

> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Henry Linneweh <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?
>
> --- "Stephen J. Wilcox" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Henry Linneweh wrote:
>>>
>>> --- "Stephen J. Wilcox" <[email protected]>

>>> Well if it will harm the community, would it be possible to auto copyright
>>> rfc's, so that the authors of a concept can prevent someone from sipping
>>> their effort off?

RFCs -- like aything else -- _are_ copyrighted, under current law. However,
almost all, if not all, of them contain express permission for anyone to
copy/reproduce them.

Copyright of a process description, furthermore, does *NOT* preclude someone
from -using- the the process that was so described.

Aside from those 'inconsiderate' facts getting in the way, you don't have a
bad idea. :)

>>> Ignorance at the top doesn't mean we can't be like always leading the
>>> way......
>>>
>>> -Henry
>>>

>> one issue with that might be that the patents are
>> taken out on variations of the
>> core idea, imho the variations are not new ideas but
>> legally they seem to get
>> away with it
>>
>> Steve
>
> ok so then in the copyright let us see if can cover
> all variations of the original concept as belonging to
> the original author or author's as a test case for
> adaption and modificaiton to copyright law. I strongly
> believe in the protection of original idea's in
> reference to rfc's

Sorry,  copyright doesn't work that way.  The _expression_ the concept is
protected.  *NOT* the underlying concept itself.

To protect a 'process', or 'mechanism', you are into the realm of _patent_
law.