Re: COnfiguration Suggestion - Etherchannel

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Thu Jul 29 08:25:07 2004

Ben Buxton wrote:

On a related note - is it possible to get a 650x switch to perform flow
based etherchannel load balancing, WITHOUT the switch actually routing
(ie performing purely swithcing functions)??
I believe you then have to play around with the frame distribution settings in the Cat to maybe get what you're after. I only see the options in CatOS, I didn't dig too deep to find in in the Native IOS command set.

From Cisco:

When configurable, EtherChannel frame distribution can use MAC addresses, IP addresses, and Layer 4 port numbers. You can specify either source or destination address or both source and destination addresses and Layer 4 port numbers. The mode you select applies to all EtherChannels configured on the switch. Use the option that provides the greatest variety in your configuration. For example, if the traffic on a channel is going to a single MAC address only, using source addresses or IP addresses or Layer 4 port numbers as the basis for frame distribution may provide better frame distribution than selecting MAC addresses as the basis.

I think that's about as good as it gets...

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

I'm not sure. Try calling the Internet's head office -- it's in the book.