Re: video distribution

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Jul 14 16:35:11 2004

If you have control over the entire network, I would suggest
native multicast. This is used operationally by a number of providers
and is one candidate for the next generation of "cable" TV providers.

If you want to reach arbitrary people across networks, then you will
need to do either unicast or application layer multicast, depending on a bunch of things.

Broadcast quality TV is typically 3 to 6 Mbps of MPEG-2. You can
do pretty well now-a-days with 300 to 600 kbps of MPEG-4 or H.264.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks