Re: Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall

  • From: Matthew Crocker
  • Date: Tue May 18 07:20:14 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 4:13 AM, Martin Hepworth wrote:

Matthew

Spamassassin needs quite a bit of tweaking above the out of the box setup. I run about 7000 messages a day here, 70% spam, .5% virus (clamav and Sophos), very very rarely a FP. I get bove 99% hit rate after adding in bayes, serveral additional rules from www.rulesemporium.org and the URI checkes. Runs on a 600mhz celeron with load avg < .5

I agree that everything the Barracuda does can be done by hand. I had a choice of either spending $4k for a 'set it and forget it' type spam solution or continue to spend days per month of my time tweaking my old setup. I chose to go with the commercial route which will easily save me $$ and more importantly frustration over the course of this year. I can spend my time building my business now instead of tweaking my mail server.

Barracuda is built on open source, It boots LILO then goes into 'secret' mode. I don't think they added any black magic to the box. They just assembled the open source parts and shrink wrapped it into a very easy to manage solution.

-Matt