Re: Anti-Spam Router -- opinions?

  • From: Erik Haagsman
  • Date: Wed Apr 07 09:29:32 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 14:25, Dave Howe wrote:
> I think 10 is a bit low.

It is, although it's more of an example value than a practical one.
You'd have to get some statistics on average e-mail use from your mail
servers and tune the value accordingly.

> I am not really an abnormal email user - but I tend to block answer a lot
> of emails, and send them as fast as I type them - so I can easily send
> 20-30 emails in the first hour, then maybe an hour slack, then another
> dozen or so - depending on inbound traffic and what arguments are ongoing
> on my mailing lists at the time.

Same here, but this pattern of e-mail burst - slack - burst etc. could
be quite easily implemented in the way described, as long as you have
some accurate statistics to use as baseline values and adjust the actual
operational values accordingly.

> Ok, I could in theory use web forums, usenet (probably also subject to
> your rate limiting) or whatever for this, but tbh I don't think I can in
> practice - if the discussion is on a mailing list, at best I would have to
> sign that list to a web mail account and reply that way, and as an average
> user I don't see why should I make life awkward for myself like that just
> to make life easier for admins (and I *am* an admin, so I have to look at
> both sides of the coin here)

Agree, it should be transparent to the user, but again that's where
accurate figures come in, and ofcourse the whole system could be as
fine-grained as you like, with further limits and slack on subnet level,
or by dividing into departments/organisations each with their own limits
on different levels (although keeping it as simple as possible would
ofcourse be preferred).

> I notice you are limiting by
> smtp session, and a spammer could easily send 100 emails each going to 100
> recipients in a single session.

Yep, that's the main problem, limiting the amount of recipients as well
as SMTP connections seems to be impractical although perhaps not
impossible. An average user nor running a mailing-list will not
realisticly send many e-mails to >100 recipients, and when they do it's
often internal distribution lists within the same domain, so limiting
recipients to a sensible value might not be as hard as it sounds.
It also depends on where you want the limiter. When limiting connections
between the user and his outgoing SMTP server you run into the recipient
problem, so you might be better of limiting outgoing connections from
your SMTP server, since multiple recipients will result in multiple
outgoing connections from the sending server, althoug this does make
coming up with accurate values for the actual base-line limits harder.
It would probably require a pretty painful initial setup where the
provider tracks e-mail statistics over a period of time and either bases
a general limiting value on a good analysis or tweaks the limits on a
per customer basis, making the initial setup very labour intensive, but
perhaps better in the long term. Instead of automatic blocking you might
put in a system where the admin gets alarmed by unusually high activity
above the initial limit+slack and the mail is cached but not sent out
before admin intervention, allowing the admin to decide whether it's
malicious mail traffic or not without disrupting normal service for the
user, apart from occasional delivery delay.

Regards,

--
---
Erik Haagsman