Re: Publish or (gulp) Perish

  • From: Priscilla Oppenheimer
  • Date: Wed Mar 24 15:05:26 2004

At 11:33 AM 3/24/04, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

vijay gill <[email protected]> writes:

> Powerpoints have a hard time matching the depth of a refereed journal
> submission, because with the powerpoint, soundbites tend to take
> precedence over content.

Attention to sidebar on page 192 of the Columbia Accident
Investigation Board report entitled "Engineering by Viewgraphs":

http://www.nasa.gov/columbia/caib/PDFS/VOL1/PART02.PDF

                                        ---Rob
Wow. The Columbia disaster caused (in part) by PowerPoint!? :-] Worth checking out. It's on page 191, isn't it? I took a class in information presentation by the fellow quoted, Dr. Edward Tufte. It was excellent.

Regarding the original question about journals, I have found the Internet Protocol Journal to be helpful. Yes, it is published by Cisco, but it has an academic approach and the editorial board is all non-Cisco and includes luminaries such as Vint Cerf. A frequent contributor is Geoff Huston, whom I admire a lot.

Don't confuse the Internet Protocol Journal with Packet magazine, also from Cisco. Packet is definitely marketing driven, whereas IPJ is more research-oriented. More on IPJ here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/

I'd be interesting in hearing what you all think of IPJ.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.priscilla.com

When your Daemon is in charge, do not try to think consciously. Drift, wait, and obey. -- Kipling.