Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
  • Date: Mon Mar 15 23:07:37 2004

> > I'll take "the right customer base" for $50 please Alex.
>
> which is NOT the current dsl/cable-modem user, obviously?

Correct.

> > Rick Adams and Mike O'Dell had an idea in 1987. How is this any different?
> >

> mumble, mumble giant telephone company mumble mumble... In all
> seriousness, I'm not sure this is any different. Their idea, if I got it
> right, was 'ip everywhere'. Perhaps providing smaller scale 'good' colo
> with strong abuse/support is possible, just don't get greedy and get
> gigantic.

The original idea was for USENIX to fund provisioning commercial UUCP
and Usenet access. Go beyond the Federal green-stamp and .edu gardens,
which was NOT the same as going into direct competition with The Well.

It was sparse. It went beyond the then-edge of UUCP and Usenet provisioned
transport and content, but it assumed the existance of a damping function,
and at this point in time, it isn't a waste of time to mull over both of
the positions argued later by Eric Allman and Peter Honneyman.

Eric