Re: Anti-spam System Idea

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sat Feb 14 05:52:48 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:30:30 PST, Tim Thorpe <[email protected]>  said:

> my idea;
> a DC network that actively scans for active relays and tests them, it
> compiles a list on a daily basis of compromised IP addresses (or even

How many IP addresses are there, and what percent of them are on DHCP,
and will you be able to do a scan in under a week, by which time the info will
be very stale indeed. (Hint - how long does the ISC 'Internet Domain Survey'
take to run?)

Also, read where it got the ORBS project.

I'll overlook the fact that in general, you don't know what port the spammer
backdoor malware is listening on, so you'll have to scan multiple ports.  Not
going to make you very popular.

Other than that, go for it. :)