Re: Upcoming change

  • From: Matt Larson
  • Date: Fri Jan 09 13:58:22 2004

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> I'm just hoping that the choice of a time_t as serial is not a
> harbinger of djbdns in the gtld servers...

No.  All 13 .com/.net name servers now run ATLAS (and have for just
over a year), our own from-scratch DNS server implementation.  Nothing
else met our requirements (such as performance, scaling, and price per
query).  The size of the .com zone is now well into 64-bit space and
we handle over 10 billion queries across all the servers in a typical
day, so there are some interesting challenges.  ATLAS is also tied in
directly to the .com/.net registry database to allow the more frequent
updates alluded to in my original posting.  The architecture is pretty
cool, but unfortunately we don't (yet) have any publicly available
white papers on it.

Matt