Re: example.com/net/org DNS records

  • From: Roger Marquis
  • Date: Sun Jan 04 16:45:57 2004

> >  * Are they breaking anti-UCE filters by doing this? (yes)
>
>How?  They own example.com.

A) They don't own example.com and, B) this is the crux of the issue.
IANA was not granted special privileges by RFC2606 nor do they have
any more claim to these domains than Verisign does to unregistered
domains or expired domains.

Example.dom was placed in the pubic domain by a public and open RFC
process.  It seems that IANA has violated this process and in so
doing exceeded the authority vested in them by their contract with
DARPA (and the DOC?).

>  If UCE happens to contain a forged sender
> of roble.com, would you consider that even remotely useful in a filter?

Yes.  Roble manages several email gateways for companies other than
ourselves and we've found that rejecting invalid domains and senders
is an indispensable component of spam filtering.  Not only is it
effective it is also 100% false-positive proof (so far).

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting