Re: example.com/net/org DNS records

  • From: haesu
  • Date: Mon Jan 05 13:40:17 2004

> A) They don't own example.com and,

Who says they don't? RFC never says IANA can or cannot "own".

> B) this is the crux of the issue.
> IANA was not granted special privileges by RFC2606 nor do they have
> any more claim to these domains than Verisign does to unregistered
> domains or expired domains.

The RFC never stated "IANA cannot register these domains."
It says IANA will _reserve_ the domains.
Bottomline, as long as IANA "holds" the domain, stating its
"reserved", RFC is complied.

http://www.example.com says:
"You have reached this web page by typing "example.com", "example.net", or "example.org" into your web browser.

These domain names are reserved for use in documentation and are not available for registration. See RFC 2606, Section 3.
"

Good enough. I find it fully compliant to the RFC.

> Example.dom was placed in the pubic domain by a public and open RFC
> process.  It seems that IANA has violated this process and in so
> doing exceeded the authority vested in them by their contract with
> DARPA (and the DOC?).

Is that contract available in public domain? If so, have you read it?
I clearly understand your frustration but let's not make assumptions.

> >  If UCE happens to contain a forged sender
> > of roble.com, would you consider that even remotely useful in a filter?
>
> Yes.  Roble manages several email gateways for companies other than
> ourselves and we've found that rejecting invalid domains and senders
> is an indispensable component of spam filtering.  Not only is it
> effective it is also 100% false-positive proof (so far).

OK, bingo. This is a simple issue to fix. Configure your spam filter to
reject spams sourced from example.* This is not hard, and much more productive
and quickest to do on your mail server(s).

-J

--
James Jun (formerly Haesu)
TowardEX Technologies, Inc.