Re: cooling systems

  • From: Andrew Kerr
  • Date: Thu Nov 06 09:05:24 2003

For those who have never visited Fairbanks, there is a phenomena observed at -15C and lower known as "square tire". The rubber in tires of parked vehicles will become stiff and freeze into position, making the vehicle impossible to move without destroying the tires. To the best of my knowledge the ARSC does have conventional AC units, as Fairbanks reaches +24C and higher in mid summer.

As someone who has lived in Saskatchewan all his life, I can tell you that "square tire" does not usually involve destruction of the tire. If your tire is slightly flat, it can certainly freeze with a flat side. This makes driving interesting for a while, but the tire will thaw as it is driven on.