Re: Utility Mapping to be featured at the 2003 DPC in Tampa

  • From: John Palmer
  • Date: Thu Nov 06 11:10:28 2003

Anyone with half the brains can figure out how to cause trouble just by driving
down the street. You don't need any maps.

Also public information tells alot about things. The Michigan PUC just finished
their study of the August 14th blackout and has issued their report. In it it has
a section that outlines the restoration procedures the DTE and ITC (the transco)
took to restore service.

In this sections, there were phrases like "then they energized the 345 KV ring bus
at substation XXX and restored service to 70% of Macomb county". So, if
someone read this and wanted to cause trouble they would say "Hey, all I need
to do it take out substation XXX and 70% of Macomb county will be out".

If you want to find major substations, just find one and then use MapQuests
satellite photo feature to follow the parade of transmission towers to all of
the other major ones. I got bored one day and did this for about 2 hours, just for
the hell of it.  Found the Thetford and Hampton subs just by map-hopping
on Mapquest.

My point: Any map will not give substantially more information than is already
available to the public. One of the scarier sides of us being such an open society.