Re: [arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

  • From: Alex Yuriev
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 20:16:21 2003

> > > to the ES, he's filtering out packets that are causing him
> > > problems directly, as the IS.
> >And since the IS is not the ES, it SHOULD NOT be filtering based on content
> >since it is NOT IS's content. Again, *force* ES to filter and hold it
> >responsible for not doing it.
> Do you have a generator in your colo/server space?  Why?  To follow your
> logic out, should you not simply be *forcing* the Electric Company to
> provide power and hold it responsible for not doing so?  ( Hmm, no
> that is slightly different as you are direct customer ).

I am so glad that you used that example.

The way currently people propose everyone operates is equivalent to a
company that transmits AC to customer deciding that some part of the AC
waveform is "harmful" to its equipment, and therefore should be filtered
out. Of course, no one bothers to tell the customer that the filter exists,
or what is being filtered, or when, or how.

> Better example if you are UPS and a package being shipped is emitting RF
> that is interferring with your plane avionics, should you not remove that
> package from the shipment ( filter it out, as it were )?

Another excellent example - UPS will not remove that. The shipper will.

> It is sound business logic that if something is impacting your ability to
> provide service *and* you are provided with the means to address the
> problem, that you should utilize those means ( w/ in the extent allowed
> by the law and your legal agreements ).

The first part of any legal agreement establishes the parties subject to it.
That is exactly what you are missing while being an IS.

Alex