Re: data request on Sitefinder

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Mon Oct 20 22:50:52 2003

todd glassey wrote:
Richard -
Do they (Verisign)  have any legal reason to??? - is there anything between
them and ANY of their clients that requires them to inform them before any
changes to protocol facilities are made - I think not.

To inform? Not yet, although I have the feeling that this will be changed due to historic record. However, changes that have an effect are always analyzed and a course of action chosen. I believe this is the job of ICANN. At some point, ICANN's power will need to be tested and set in stone. Only the community can create or strip that power. Yet if an organization is going to exist to serve the community and maintain order, then it needs the power to do it.

I think Vixie has alluded to this a few times, and I know there is much that goes on in the hallways concerning the overall problem of who controls what. Verisign is just helping to push the process along. I doubt it will end as they want it to.

-Jack