Re: Interesting ASN usage data point

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Mon Oct 20 23:54:06 2003
On 20 Oct 2003, at 21:12, John Brown (CV) wrote:

Interested data point
Those ASNs have all been assigned by the respective RIR (and LIR, in one case) to ISC for use as part of ISC's ongoing effort to distribute the F root nameserver globally.

Each of the anycast instances of F is designed to be autonomous and not directly connected to (or dependant on) the rest of ISC's network infrastructure. Each anycast node is deployed with a globally unique ASN.

Nodes in the Asia Pacific region have been deployed with ASNs obtained from APNIC (ISC is an APNIC member). Nodes in other regions have been obtained from ARIN (ISC is an ARIN member). 25572 corresponds to the F root anycast node in Madrid, which was the first local node we deployed. Our RIR strategy has been clarified since we rolled out that node.

I would be very happy to discuss the background for this design if others are interested. There are some notes available in the following document:

http://www.isc.org/tn/isc-tn-2003-1.html

I'm currently in the bar if anybody at the meeting wants to learn more. I'm close to the epicentre of the long-range laser light show being put on by Avi (roll up! roll up! tour groups depart on the half hour! etc).

Joe