Re: Security v. Privacy (was Re: Is there anything that actuallygets users to fix their computers?)

  • From: Matthew Sullivan
  • Date: Sun Oct 05 23:28:33 2003

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Matthew Sullivan [06/10/03 11:38 +1000]:

Third time their account is deleted.

I am yet to have one that has reached the third time - 85k users here.

Let me guess - that'd mostly be dialup users, right? Or maybe simply email
users? Not (say) T1 and larger users?

That's:

Dialup, ISDN and analog (ISP)
Hosted Servers (ISP)
Gigabit/100M Connected Networks (Uni Campus/Colleges)

Counting the campus & colleges machines there are a lot more than 85k.

The difference being campus machines are null routed rather than disconnected, and they are not reconnected until checked and clean.

We have one machine that within 2 weeks got trojaned twice, 4 months later it's still null routed because the machine owner cannot guarentee that it won't get trojaned again.

Network security is high priority here and it doesn't matter what machine is compromised, they are all disconnected in one way or another, and yet we still have to nuke machines occasionally because of suspicious (DDoS/scanning etc) traffic.

/ Mat