Re: Security v. Privacy (was Re: Is there anything that actuallygets users to fix their computers?)

  • From: Matthew Sullivan
  • Date: Sun Oct 05 21:40:49 2003

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Sean Donelan [05/10/03 17:44 -0400]:

What happens a few hours later when you start getting complaints again
about the same customer? Do you turn the connection off again. And

Sure, turn it off again. And again.

Sooner or later, it will dawn on the customer that no, his system is not
fixed. And in the meantime, both his bandwidth quota (if any) and the ISP's
pipes avoid getting saturated with worms.

We have a better way - first time they get turned off.

Second time they get turned off and told if it happens again you will be told to get service elsewhere.

Third time their account is deleted.

I am yet to have one that has reached the third time - 85k users here.

/ Mat