Re: the gauntlet is thrown

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 11:23:01 2003

> Scott Bradner writes:
> >> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/twomey-to-lewis-03oct03.htm
>
> * [email protected] ([email protected]) [Fri 03 Oct 2003, 16:47 CEST]:
> > 	This is a return volly. The service in this match was three
> > 	weeks ago.
>
> So the question is now, who has who by the jugulars in this threesome
> between ICANN, VeriSign and the Internet technical community?  Or worded
> even more clearly, who controls/owns who - VeriSign ICANN and the
> Internet, or we ICANN and therefore VeriSign enough to not matter?
>

> 	-- Niels.

	as I understand it:
	the "internet technical community" has no part in this matter. (*)
	there are a series of interlocking MOUs/CRADAs/Contracts between
	ICANN/USDOC/Verisign that cover a range of topics, some of which
	include the on-going care/feeding of .com and .net.   (*) we get
	to watch this match from the sidelines.

(*) as a community (technical and otherwise) we do get to "vote" with our
    editors or in conjuntion w/ our vendors.   with enough disgust/distaste
    it is possible either lie to ones self and ones customers/clients about
    what has been done (aka the BIND patch), to abandon .com/.net (easier
    said than done),  let mob-rule anoint others to be the authoritative
    source for .com/.net. -or- accept the changes and get on w/ life.

	pick one of the four.

--bill