Re: NTP, possible solutions, and best implementation

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 11:25:53 2003

Two relevant points on GPS/LORAN

1 - GPS has two positioning systems

    1 - SPS Standard Positioning Service which is what all civillian
        uses of GPS utilize for positioning and timing uses and this can
        be degraded or disabled with no notice to the user community
        by the National Command Authority.

    2 - PPS Precision Positioning Service this is the military GPS system
        which uses encrypted signals on a different frequency to provide
        location services accurate to 30 cm.   SPS can be disabled with no
        effect on PPS.

        I have no knowledge of why there are two systems since the system
        was initially designed for military use only but as a guess the
        SPS system was designed as a test system so GPS system
        functionality could be checked without the need to disclose keys.

2 - GPS is more accurate than LORAN however the SPS is much less
    repeatable by design than LORAN.  A LORAN may not give you as accurate
    a Fix as the GPS but the LORAN will always bring you back to the
    same spot +/- a few feet which is why Aviators and Sailors like LORAN
    better than GPS.

2.5 - Both systems use atomic clocks for their time reference systems.

                            Scott C. McGrath