Re: Worst design decisions?

  • From: Ben Browning
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 19:08:42 2003

> Was doing some upgrades on a UBR7246 (to a VXR), and I got to thinking
> about short sighted design considerations.  I was curious if any of you
> had some pet peeves from a design perspective to rant about.  I'll start
> with a couple.
Here are a few of mine:

The little clippy widgets (looks kind of like @) on some oldschool racks, that hold the nut in place for the hex-head bolt. Why these were considered desirable is beyond me.

The slimline DS3 patch panels. God help you should you need to do something with the two innermost wires on the back end of that- there's barely room for pliers, much less fingers.

Procurve switch management interface. Archaic, arcane, insane, unusable.

Cisco V-notched power cables - Design "feature" geared around getting suckers to buy a power cable for 45USD.

~Ben
---
Ben Browning <[email protected]>
The River Internet Access Co.