Re: anycast (Re: .ORG problems this evening)

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Thu Sep 18 14:53:53 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, E.B. Dreger wrote:

: EBD> That's why one uses a daemon with main loop including
: EBD> something like:
: EBD>
: EBD> 	success = 0 ;
: EBD> 	for ( i = checklist ; i->callback != NULL ; i++ )
: EBD> 		success &= i->callback(foo) ;
: EBD> 	if ( success )
: EBD> 		send_keepalive(via_some_ipc_mechanism) ;
:
: Eek!
:
: s,success = 0,success = 1,

Heh.  I'll send you some coffee.

Yes, I hope that UltraDNS implements something like this, if they have not
already.  It's still not a guarantee that things will get withdrawn -- or be
reachable, even if working but not withdrawn -- in case of a problem.  That
still leaves the DNS for a gTLD at risk for a single point of failure.

Maybe I should just chalk this up to history at this point.  I have a
feeling, though, that the head of this thread's archive URL will show up as
a citation some time from now when something else goes wrong with the zone.

<sigh>

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]>