Re: What do you want your ISP to block today?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sat Aug 30 14:56:50 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:09:40 EDT, Joe Abley said:
> That won't save them when the time required to download the patch set
> is an order of magnitude greater than the mean time to infection.

This, in fact, is the single biggest thorn in our side at the moment. It's hard
to adopt a pious "patch your broken box" attitude when the user can't get it
patched without getting 0wned first...

> Seems to me that it would be far more effective to simply prohibit
> connection of machines without acceptable operating systems to the
> network. That would send a more appropriate message to the vendor, too
> (better than "don't bother to test before you release, we'll pay to
> clean up the resulting mess").

Given the Lion worm that hit Linux boxes, and the fact there's apparently a
known remote-root (since fixed) for Apple's OSX, what operating systems would
you consider "acceptable"?