Re: What do you want your ISP to block today?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sat Aug 30 14:11:49 2003

On Saturday, Aug 30, 2003, at 01:58 Canada/Eastern, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:42:16PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:

North Texas charges students $30 if their computer is infected, and needs
to be cleaned.
Excellent, perhaps they'll learn early that they have to patch often.
That won't save them when the time required to download the patch set is an order of magnitude greater than the mean time to infection.

Seems to me that it would be far more effective to simply prohibit connection of machines without acceptable operating systems to the network. That would send a more appropriate message to the vendor, too (better than "don't bother to test before you release, we'll pay to clean up the resulting mess").

Joe