Re: What do you want your ISP to block today?

  • From: Matthew S. Hallacy
  • Date: Sat Aug 30 02:00:35 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:42:16PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:

> North Texas charges students $30 if their computer is infected, and needs
> to be cleaned.

Excellent, perhaps they'll learn early that they have to patch often.

> .....                                                 don't want to
> pay McAfee, Symantec, etc for anti-virus software;

Please show me an anti-virus product for the desktop that protects against
such things, I've disinfected at least 30 machines this week that have
McAfee VirusShield or Norton Antivirus installed with automatic updates
enabled (and yes, I verified they all had the latest virus definitions),
they'll happily sit there spewing shit to the world until they're rebooted
(a few weeks later, now that windows will happily kludge along but not
completely crash) then you get a wonderful dialog that says:

'Warning $anti-virus-program has found an infected file $FOO but could
not delete it'

Why couldn't it delete it? Because the file was set read only, and the
software is too dumb to attrib -r $file

And no, $upstream should not be filtering my connection, if you see activity
from my network and I don't respond to a friendly notice, turn off my
circuit.