Re: Independent space from ARIN

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sun Apr 13 17:04:35 2003

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Please explain how somebody with more than 4096 hosts in PA space is
> supposed to renumber into a /20 of PI space.
>
> I fear you propose that he move the first 3276.8 hosts, request a second
> block, move another 3276.8 hosts, request a third block, etc. until he's got
> a dozen new allocations which can't be aggregated.  Perhaps this explains
> the explosive growth in the routing tables since ARIN took over.

Perhaps the poster who mentioned they didn't get enough space to renumber
should have started, filled the allocation, requested another, and
finished the renumbering.  In your request, did you mention any sort of
projected timeline for renumbering into the block you requested?

Maybe someone should write an update for rfc2050.  Depending on which IP
analyst your request is handled by, rfc2050 may be invoked, which states:

       Additional address allocations will provide enough address space
       to enable the ISP to assign addresses for three months
       without requesting additional address space from its parent
       registry.  Please note that projected customer base has little
       impact on the address allocations made by the parent registries.

I don't know anyone who's actually followed this, but I haven't
communicated with many ARIN members about this sort of thing lately.  Is
this policy being enforced consistently now?  I know in the past, ARIN has
had their own policies (at least for initial and at one time for second
allocations) that pretty much ignored this.  Once upon a time, you could
request a /20 from a reserved /19 as long as you were multi-homed and
could justify a /21.  Fill the first /20 in 18 months or less, and you get
the other half, and have a /19.  I think the rationale for this at the
time was routing filters, as you were allowed to announce the /19 even
before the second half of it was officially yours.  Now, the ARIN tune
seems to be "we only assign numbers, routability is your problem".

I don't claim to have an easy solution for this.  If every idiot with a
business plan could request and receive a /16, there'd be an awful lot of
wasted space.  But if you've been around for most of the past decade and
have continued to grow, should you really be issued new non-agregable
blocks every several months?

Somebody must have a better idea.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |