Re: is this true or... ?

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Fri Mar 28 10:20:36 2003

In message <[email protected]>, "Steven M. Be
llovin" writes:

>In message <[email protected]>, "Tomas
>
>Daniska" writes:
>>

>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8595
>>

>freedom-to-tinker.com, which is the source cited by your link, is
>indeed Ed Felten's.  And I trust Ed.

It's been pointed out to me that the Texas bill, at least (I found it
at
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi?CQ_SESSION_KEY=NUTHYMWBJWUF&CQ_QUERY_HANDLE=126838&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=4&CQ_SAVE[bill_number]=HB02121INT&CQ_TLO_DOC_TEXT=YES
but there may be session state -- it's bill HB 2121) only criminalizes the
conduct if it's done "with intent to harm or defraud a communications
service provider".  Now, given the anti-NAT and anti-VPN tendencies of some
broadband ISPs, I'm not necessarily thrilled, but it's not quite the
same as was originally suggested.