Re: COM/NET informational message

  • From: bdragon
  • Date: Sat Jan 04 22:45:40 2003

> This message explains an upcoming change in certain behavior of the
> com and net authoritative name servers related to internationalized
> domain names (IDNs).
>
> VeriSign Global Registry Services (VGRS) has been a longtime advocate
> of IDNs. Our IDN Test Bed has been active for over two years and we
> have followed and supported IETF developments in the IDN area. The
> protocol for IDNs developed by the IETF's IDN Working Group has been
> approved by the IESG and we anticipate that RFCs will be published
> soon. That protocol, Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications
> (IDNA), calls for changes to individual applications to support IDNs.
> VGRS has developed a plug-in, called i-Nav, for Microsoft's Internet
> Explorer browser to support IDNs in a manner consistent with IDNA.
> i-Nav is free and more information about it is available at
> <<http://www.idnnow.com>>.

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign2.html#plugins

<snip>

I guess since no one will make a plugin for my various non-popular
architectures (how many poorly written websites _require_ Flash?)
I'll just be kicked off the internet.

Hmm, maybe a good thing....

If this new RFC hasn't even been published yet? Why the rush?
Wouldn't the more _responsible_ thing to do be to wait for
adoption of the standard, rather than rushing everyone out to
prepare for you to start selling?