Re: Juniper M5/M10 Midplane problems ??

  • From: Dave Aaldering
  • Date: Sat Jan 04 21:19:16 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 02:36:53PM -0700, [email protected] wrote:

Hi John,

> Been looking at a M5/M10 box and have noticed its
> not real easy (unless I'm blind) to replace the
> mid-plane.
>
> Thus I'm wondering what people in the field have
> experienced with respect to mid-plane failures.
>
> 1. Bent or broken pins on the PIC side
>
> 2. Circuit failures
>

> My eval of this product is for a client and their
> infrastructure needs.
>

> Other bits of learned wisdom also excepted and
> encouraged :)

First off I think it is good to have a look at the Juniper product line
and consider matching your needs to the right product in the M Series
product line.

In example, if you consider bent or broken pins (which in my opinion is
a serious hardware problem) something you should be able to survive in
case it happens, you should look at a product which gives you
redundancy, or in case of the bigger Junipers, replacable FPC's.

Same goes for the circuit failures. This goes for all routing hardware.
If you want to be able to fix problems in that category, without taking out
the entire box, you should buy one which does enable you to do so, if
in the end you don't want to rule out hardware failure to the midplane.

Although this does not exactly answers your question when it comes to
the M5 platform, I do think this is the proper way to address your
availabilty needs.

Regards,

Dave Aaldering
ISP-Services