Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Tue Sep 10 13:22:48 2002

At 08:20 PM 9/9/2002 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
outbound SMTP should be blocked for any dynamic or dialup source within
One of the basic problems with discussions about spam control is that it focuses entirely on spam. Blocking output SMTP from individual dial-ups has a serious negative consequence:

Laptop mobile users cannot use their home SMTP server.

At best, they must reconfigure for each venue -- goodbye wireless hotspot convenience -- and that is IF they know the SMTP server address for the local access.

In other words, by blocking output SMTP, mobile users are hurt badly. I know that *I* certainly am. Constantly and serously.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:[email protected]>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850