How do you stop outgoing spam?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Mon Sep 09 05:21:44 2002

Please try to keep this discussion technical and not diverge to opinions. I am not looking for opinions or religion. I am trying to find automated tools/systems/boxes that will stop spam from going *out* from an ISP. The ISP has no servers and allocates IP address space to downstream customers who spam. Yes, I know all about ACLs to block offending IPs. The ISP is willing to buy any box or system to stop outgoing spams and thereby stop constantly playing with ACLs.

The spamming is usually done (but not only) from an Internet cafe where the spammer inserts a "spammer CD" and blasts away at open mail relays. When SMTP is blocked for that IP, they switch to HTTP and send the spam via MSN, Yahoo, Hotmail, Kukamail, Outblaze, Safe-mail, etc. to name just a few. Blocking port 80 is harder since it requires maintaining an ever larger list of free public web based mail systems or just block port 80 entirely.

Technical solutions welcome.

Thanks,
Hank