Re: verio arrogance

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Mon Jul 15 18:12:19 2002

Unless you are in "the swamp" - the old Class C, where I believe that they do accept /24's.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:10:28PM -0400, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

http://info.us.bb.verio.net/routing.html#PeerFilter

It seems if I were one of their customers they would accept my
66.11.168/23 announcement and re-announce it to their peers, but they
won't accept it from any of their peers.

As a customer you pay them to announce your /23, as a peer you don't. Their line of logic is that if you are a peer of theirs you don't have to accept that /23 either.

Announcing a covering /20 along with the regional more specifics I have
will only serve to increase the size of the routing table for most
backbones, and lead to sub optimal routing in some cases since I'm
announcing the more specifics due to geographical diversity.

Announce the /20 to your transit providers, and the more specifics with no-export. Verio's position is that they don't want to or need to hear your /23s unless you are a customer, and for the most part they are right.

--

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc

Test your network for multicast :