Re: verio arrogance

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Jul 15 17:19:44 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:10:28PM -0400, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> http://info.us.bb.verio.net/routing.html#PeerFilter
>
> It seems if I were one of their customers they would accept my
> 66.11.168/23 announcement and re-announce it to their peers, but they
> won't accept it from any of their peers.

As a customer you pay them to announce your /23, as a peer you don't.
Their line of logic is that if you are a peer of theirs you don't have to
accept that /23 either.

> Announcing a covering /20 along with the regional more specifics I have
> will only serve to increase the size of the routing table for most
> backbones, and lead to sub optimal routing in some cases since I'm
> announcing the more specifics due to geographical diversity.

Announce the /20 to your transit providers, and the more specifics with
no-export. Verio's position is that they don't want to or need to hear
your /23s unless you are a customer, and for the most part they are right.