Survey: Peering Staffing Levels

  • From: Dwight Ernest
  • Date: Wed Jun 12 15:13:57 2002

Please forgive the non-operational content.

I'm interested in getting some idea of the level of staffing provided by NSPs and ISPs in their peering departments. In fact, I've been asked by my management to provide as much info about such levels as possible, without a need to disclose the identity of any responding company.

If you have time, and wish to participate, I'd sure appreciate it. I will provide a summary of the responses to respondents. No identifying information need be provided. Get a disposable email account at Hotmail or Yahoo if you'd like to be really anonymous. Any question may be skipped if you wish. I appreciate your assistance!

DO NOT RESPOND TO THE LIST!

1. Do your peering staff members do peering negotiations and planning only, or do they also do peering-related hands-on router engineering?
___ planning and negotiation only
___ planning, negotiation, and hands-on router stuff
___ something other than these two choices:

2. What is the size of your peering staff?
___ full-time staff members
___ part-time staff members

3. Do you feel this staffing level is appropriate?
___ too high
___ just right
___ too low

4. What is the ballpark aggregate exchange volume in megabits/second at peak, for your AS, or for all of the ASses for which you are responsible?
___ mb/s @ peak

5. What is the primary location of the majority of your peering department's staff members?
___ USA
___ North America other than USA
___ Europe
___ Central or Western Asia
___ Eastern or Southeastern Asia
___ Australia/NZ
___ South America
___ Africa

6. Approximately how many private or public peers does your network exchange traffic with?
___ private peers
___ public peers

7. What percentage volume of your network's total exchange volume is exchange via peering (as opposed to being exchanged via transit)?
___% is exchanged via peering

Again, thank you very much for your participation.

Cheers,
--Dwight Ernest