Reverse DNS and SMTP

  • From: Patrick Muldoon
  • Date: Thu Feb 28 15:17:25 2002

	We have recently implemented a policy on our mail servers of not
accepting mail from hosts that do not correctly resolve via reverse DNS.
While we on the technical side love the idea, there have been some
questions from the business side of the house.

	If an ISP who doesn't have reverse DNS setup correctly on their
mail servers, we point them to the RFC's and generally offer to help
them correct it.
	We have noticed that our spam has reduced drastically, and the
complaints are few, but alas this is a double edged sword, where if you
even block 1 legitimate e-mail out of the 100K+ that we receive daily,
someone is going to complain.

Just curious if anybody here is doing the same and the response that
they have had from doing so.  Replies off list are fine and I will
summarize if people are interested.

Thanks,
Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon, Network/Software Engineer
INOC, LLC

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del now for IQ test.