RE: Reverse DNS and SMTP

  • From: Daniel Lark
  • Date: Thu Feb 28 15:37:49 2002

You are most correct, it is definitely a double edged sword. Let's say
you try to reverse DNS on an address who's nameserver is down or
otherwise unreachable, what then? Some admins I know deliberately do run
reverse DNS as they view it as system cracker tool, or they feel it is
an unwarranted load, RFCs be damned. Is this admin decision the fault of
the user?

You are not first one to try this. I have tried this myself and a
financial type didn't get an important email because of it. You know the
rest of the story.

A better solution is to check the ip and see if it is an MX record for
the domain the mail purports to be from.

Just my opinion, and I could wrong.

-dan