Re: NY ranks #1 in Internet b/w

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Fri Nov 02 07:10:54 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Nipper, Arnold wrote:

> But if you look at trunks going into *another* country the same report comes
> to this ranking.

>  London
>  Paris
>  New York
>  Amsterdam
>  Frankfurt

> This report also says that the relevance of US for Internet is decreasing.

Hm, I'm still waiting to witness a traceroute from Europe to Asia or the
Pacific that doesn't go over the US for the first time. Are there subs
that can lay undersea cables yet? A cable from Northern Europe to Japan
and the US North West under the North Pole icecap would be great.

> As ever:  never trust a statistic unless you faked it yourself ...

But one thing is obvious: we IP people put our stuff where we think we
want it, not where it should go looking from a redundancy/vulnerability
standpoint.

If I want to send a packet from The Hague to Philadelphia, the packet will
almost certainly pass Amsterdam and New York, two places where huge
amounts of traffic can easily be disrupted. If the IP routers were to be
placed closer to the places where seacables surface, this problem would go
away: all those major hubs are serviced by multiple fiber landing
locations.