Re: NY ranks #1 in Internet b/w

  • From: Martin J. Levy
  • Date: Fri Nov 02 10:16:28 2001

> Hm, I'm still waiting to witness a traceroute from Europe to Asia or the
> Pacific that doesn't go over the US for the first time. ...

You will find that there are many routes from Europe to Asia (and back again) that don't run via the US.  Two examples...

  http://www.bbeng.gxn.net/cgi-bin/lg.pl?query=trace&addr=www.hkt.net&router=Amsterdam1

  http://www.bbeng.gxn.net/cgi-bin/lg.pl?query=trace&addr=www.singnet.com.sg&router=Amsterdam1

I'm sure there are many more.  There are a few cables that run between Europe and Asia (SMW3 and Flag) that are good communications routes for non-US-transiting traffic.

Martin