Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

  • From: Ian Cooper
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 18:48:33 2001

At 17:56 -0400 2001-10-26, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:
There is another issue here.  I hope the DI has another method of gauging
performance.  We all know well that ICMP is being fully blocked by some.  Is
there no other way for DI to try to approximate the proximity of a customer
to their servers?  If a network is blocking ICMP, how is the decision of
proximity made.
One assumes that would be proprietary information :)

One would also assume that the more measurements they could make, the more accurate their models would become. So yes, they can probably "get by" without ICMP, but the optimization might not be so good.

Of course, while the optimization is made on behalf of the CDN's customers, it's the requesting user-agents in your own networks that observe the benefits.