Re: [SOT Rant] Non-hostile probes / opt-in/out

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 18:51:52 2001

James,
    Good to see that you haven't lost your fire...

    However, I think the central question here is one of degree.  Testing
connectivity,
latency, etc. is normal network maintenance kind of stuff. Flooding is Denial of
Service.
I don't know what the right answer is in terms of the boundary between the two,
but
obviously, I think we can agree that sending an occasional ping to
measure/monitor
is a very different thing from sending a few thousand packets per second towards

someone unsolicited.  If we can agree on that, then I will bow back out and
return you to the argument about exactly where to place the boundary.

Owen

James Thomason wrote:

> If I did, and they responded negatively, I would tell them YOU said it was
> a good idea.
>
> Seriously, why should the administrators of *.army.mil care if I test
> packet response time between our networks?  Is this an illegal activity I
> am unaware of?
>
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>

> > At 02:16 PM 10/26/2001 -0500, Quibell, Marc wrote:
> >  >
> >  >Maybe you should ping NS01.ARMY.MIL about 2400 times in 3 hour and see if
> >  >you don't get a visit? Pinging a website 2 times means nothing..
> >
> > How about 441 times in 2 hours? :)
> >

> >  >Marc
> >
> > --
> > TTFN,
> > patrick

"Every time you turn on your new car, you're turning on 20
 microprocessors.  Every time you use an ATM, you're using a computer.
 Every time I use a settop box or game machine, I'm using a computer.
 The only computer you don't know how to work is your Microsoft
 computer, right?"
        - Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
          from an April 1997 interview in Upside Magazine

Microsoft CEO Bill Gates is optimistic about Contraceptive99's potential.
He recently said, "Our contraceptive products will help users do to
each other what we've been doing to our customers for years."

The mail above is sent from my personal account and represents my own
views.  It may or may not reflect the opinions of Exodus Communications,
Jin Ho, Mo Sabourian, Tony Massing, Morris Taradalsky, or any other
employee, officer, subsidiary, acquisition, member, partner, aff