RE: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

  • From: Quibell, Marc
  • Date: Fri Oct 26 15:58:58 2001

I will explain further: Companies, trying to make some money (I agree), are
attempting to reroute traffic using their own techniques w/o consulting the
Internet consortium. What are the consequences? I'll list one for you:

The techniques used may conflict with other vendors' techniques-
Let's say that DI uses pings to a client's DNS server, which in this case
happens to be at the same location as the client. It pings the DNS server
everytime a user from that site wants to get to Micro$oft.com. In turn M$
has it's own "local server finder" pings running, which really is more
up-to-date than the other vendor, and finds and even closer server -or- M$
uses a different formula to determine the nearest server, -or- the pings
from M$ arrive faster than the ones from the other vendor...etc. In each
case they both have different outcomes as to which is the nearest server.
Now where is the client sent? Does this not effect client routing?

There is no standard. And rerouting traffic requires, no demands, Standards.

If a vendor uses ping times and hops to determine closest servers, where
does it ping from? Each M$ server? And then how does it tell the client or
server where to redirect the traffic? If I read the original post right, the
pings came from DI. How does this determine the location of off-site
servers? Is this the best way to do it and what is the total bandwidth
impact on the internet?

The original poster of this message stated afterwards, offline, he's now up
to over 2400 pings in three hours. Add this number of pings to the number of
servers and the number of clients being pinged. It grows exponentially. Do
you not think that there should be some Official Standards developed to
accomodate and support this?

Marc