Re: What's really going on in Lower Manhattan

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Sun Sep 30 10:58:39 2001

The last time I was driving through downtown (last wed) I happen to stop
next to a verizon trunk with a couple of techs.

Phrases like, "We have no idea" and "could be many weeks" and "We still
can't get into the basement" were flying around.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Nathan J . Mehl wrote:

> In the immortal words of Mike Moglin ([email protected]):
> >
> >    Does anyone know what is really going on?
>
> Having recently (last night) taken a quick stroll by as close to
> ground zero as civilians are currently allowed to get (*) and gotten a
> hard look at the area, I'm going to say with some confidence: no,
> nobody actually knows what's really going on.  Probably least of all
> Verizon.
>
> There's still a lot of digging to do, quite literally.  Don't expect a
> straight answer or even a moderately plausible lie out of Verizon for
> a few more weeks at least.
>
> -n
>
> (*) the intersection of Broadway and Cortland has been set up as a de
>     facto tourist corral

> "I've yet to read about an ex-lesbian who, upon accepting Jesus Christ as her
> personal savior, was seized by a sudden and overwhelming desire to chew
> through Matt Damon's underpants."                               (--Dan Savage)

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --