Re: The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Sun Sep 30 11:37:09 2001

At 13:54 +0200 30-09-2001, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Friday 28 September 2001, at 20 h 6,
"Joseph T. Klein" <[email protected]> wrote:

 Yeah right. I suggest you look at real world loaded 7200s. They have
 problems with full routing tables.
I don't know, I don't use Ciscos and I don't regret it.

 >Any Taiwan-made PC can swallow much more. The limit is not clear but is
 >certainly far away from us.

 I want to you to put a couple of channelized DS-3s, an ATM OC12c,
 and a POS OC48c to your backbone plus all the BGP peers you can sign
 up at AADS on a PC.
Come on, I did not say that a PC can handle everything, just that it can
handle easily 100k routes.

I don't know the limit but neither do you (did you try the funny experiment
you suggest or are you just guessing?) The only thing I'm sure, because I run
it daily, is that 100k routes is not a lot for today's machines.

 The black and white simplicity expressed by people on this forum is
 unbelievable.
The ability of some people to continue the discussion about the "routing table
explosion" legend as if we were still in a world of 64 mega-bytes routers
(with a Motorola 68020) is unbelievable.
Muck through the archives ... you will find me on the other side of the
argument.

A PC with the big interfaces is called a Juniper. ;-)

The problem is at the core, not at the edge. You can put a PC in
many places but not in a high bandwidth, peer rich location.

--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 [email protected]

    "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                 -- John W. Stewart III