Re: GPS SA and Network Timing

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Wed Sep 26 10:41:14 2001

"Hire, Ejay" <[email protected]> writes:

> In our next episode of Militant dictator How-to, we'll show you how to
> upgrade an antique scud missile to with a guidance system capable of 3-meter
> accuracy for less than $500.00 per unit..  Stay tuned!

Somehow, I find it difficult to believe I'm dignifying this with a
response (much less a public one), but here goes:

Every commercial GPS unit that I have ever seen has a speed which, if
exceeded, will cause the unit to shut down (usually until
power-cycled).  It varies from unit to unit, but in every observed
case was substantially (several times) less than the speed of such
weaponry in flight.  Commercial units also have altitude limits, with
the same consequences for exceeding them.  Integrating an OEM GPS
module with existing avionics systems' targeting mechanism so it can
actually cause the missile to adjust its course is left as an exercise
to the local defense systems integrator.

Resist the cycle of content-free posts to NANOG...

                                        ---Rob