Re: World Trade Center attack

  • From: Mark C . Langston
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 00:26:43 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 09:26:42PM -0400, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Mark C . Langston wrote:
>
> > DEFCON 2 has been reached, I believe.
> >
> > DEFCON 1 does not necessarily equate automatically to war, however.  It
> > is merely the maximum level of force readiness.
>
> Wargames had it backwards. DEFCON 1 is peace, DEFCON 5 is war.

The DoD Dictionary
(http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf) doesn't
explicitly state the order, but does imply it progresses from 5 to 1.

Army Regulation 2510
(http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:99rWu1xnDgQ:www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r25_10.pdf+defense+readiness+condition+defcon&hl=en)
implies that the restrictions on information transfer during an
emergency increase as the DEFCON level decreases from 5 to 1, implying
that 1 is the highest state of operational readiness, not the lowest.

Further, most every reference available, military and non-military,
recognizes DEFCON 5 as the state of lowest operational readiness.

Were I so inclined to search further, I'm sure I could dig up a
definitive military or governmental document that explicitly states
the rank ordering of defense readiness conditions.  However, I think
the evidence above suffices.

--
Mark C. Langston
[email protected]