RE: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Sun Sep 09 15:00:04 2001

At 02:30 PM 9/9/01, woody weaver wrote:

I'm not sure who was first, in terms of IOS NAT and ip_masq.  If memory
serves (and it usually doesn't) then 11.2 was released around Aug 97.  I
don't see any easy way to identify the release date.

However, I think the linux code is older, although of course its largely
based upon the BSD firewall code.
Proteon was shipping NAT (NAPT) in routers in 1994 or there abouts, well before Cisco. It was popular on the small GT60 router, especially in southeast asia, where ISPs wouldn't give out anything other than single addresses, and at the time getting a dedicated link was nearly impossible. NAT (NAPT) allowed them to connect up small offices.

Of course Proteon neglected to tell the world about this or most other features. Marketing really does matter...

Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com