RE: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

  • From: woody weaver
  • Date: Sun Sep 09 14:34:41 2001

I'm not sure who was first, in terms of IOS NAT and ip_masq.  If memory
serves (and it usually doesn't) then 11.2 was released around Aug 97.  I
don't see any easy way to identify the release date.

However, I think the linux code is older, although of course its largely
based upon the BSD firewall code.

The online source log shows
  38  * Masquerading functionality
  39  *
  40  * Copyright (c) 1994 Pauline Middelink
  41  *
  42  * The pieces which added masquerading functionality are totally
  43  * my responsibility and have nothing to with the original authors
  44  * copyright or doing.
  45  *
  46  * Parts distributed under GPL.
  47  *
  48  * Fixes:
  49  *      Pauline Middelink       :       Added masquerading.
  50  *      Alan Cox                :       Fixed an error in the merge.
  51  *      Thomas Quinot           :       Fixed port spoofing.
  52  *      Alan Cox                :       Cleaned up retransmits in
spoofing.
  53  *      Alan Cox                :       Cleaned up length setting.
  54  *      Wouter Gadeyne          :       Fixed masquerading support of
ftp PORT commands
  55  *
  56  *      Juan Jose Ciarlante     :       Masquerading code moved to
ip_masq.c

But Cisco was promoting NAT much earlier.  They bought the old NTI hardware
(now called the PIX), and its primary purpose in life was NAT -- the company
was called Network Translations Inc.  Looks like my first PIX install was 3
July 1996, so that predates IOS installations, I think.

--woody