Re: trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere(fwd)

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Fri Aug 03 15:25:38 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Marius Strom wrote:

> John,
> I wasn't referring to you, and I agree that the policy of not posting to
> high (net|sys)admin mailing lists is questionable.  It's just that I've
> seen some folks on here complaining about lack of notification when they
> did switch from vix.com to mail-abuse.org, and I believe that fault
> should be placed where it needs to be placed.

I'm not sure how that could be handled given the way they ran the service.
I'd imagine there are lots of people who looked into the RBL/RSS/DUL issue
only when configuring their mail servers, and never checked the web site
again, don't read nanae, nanog, or inet-access, and wouldn't find out
about the zone name switch until things broke.

Way back when the RBL was primarily BGP and they just began allowing zone
transfers, you had to fill out paperwork and send it to MAPS.  They could
have kept that requirement or required you to join a MAPS-announce mailing
list as a condition of using the service so that they'd have an easy way
to reach tech people for all networks using their service.  Sure, they
probably wouldn't be able to stop you from unsubscribing or ignoring the
email, but then it'd be your fault if you missed the announcements.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |